Breaking News

Fire Guts Bungalow As Kwara Firemen Rescue Fuel Station

A fire which spread from an undergrowth in Anuoluwapo community, Kangile area, Sango, Ilorin in Ilorin East local government of Kwara State on Saturday destroyed a four-bedroom bungalow in the area.

The Kwara State Fire Service said that it received a distress call on Saturday afternoon to attend to a fire incident at Kangile area behind Royal Valley Estate Sango, Ilorin.

“Upon arrival of the fire service to the area, they found a four-bedroom flat engulfed in flames. With commendable efficiency, the firemen contained the blaze, preventing it from spreading to neighbouring buildings”, a statement signed by Hassan Adekunle, Head of Media and Publicity of the Kwara State Fire Service has said.

“Investigation revealed that an unidentified individual had initiated the incident by setting undergrowth ablaze, which subsequently reached and ignited the building.

“As a precautionary measure, the Director of the Fire Service, Prince Falade John, issued a strong warning to the people of Kwara State, urging them to refrain from engaging in bush burning activities.

“The director emphasised the importance of maintaining safety consciousness at all times to prevent such incidents and protect the community from the devastating effects of fires”, the statement said.

In another fire incident which occurred on Saturday afternoon at Olooru along Ilorin/Bode-Saadu/Jebba express road, the fire service saved the Alflaman Petrol Station from being consumed by fire.

The fire incident involved a 45,000 litre Premium Motor Spirit tanker with the registration number, LAF59XB.

The incident was caused by a petrol attendant who was siphoning fuel from the tanker into a jerrycan at the station.

The spokesperson for the Kwara State Fire Service, Adekunle, said, “The firefighting team acted swiftly, reaching the scene without delay. Their quick response and efficient efforts led to the successful containment of the fire, preventing extensive damage to the filling station and sparing another PMS tanker situated across the expressway.

“Subsequent investigations unveiled that the incident originated during the process of siphoning fuel into the underground reservoir. An attendant inadvertently triggered a fire while attempting to drain residue into a jerrycan. Startled by the ignition, the attendant flung the jerrycan away, inadvertently causing it to land on a nearby tanker, which promptly caught fire”, he said.

In response to this incident, Director of Fire Service, John, issued a stern safety warning to operators and people working in petrol and gas stations.

Falade emphasised the importance of individuals maintaining heightened safety consciousness at all times to avert such unfortunate events in future engagement.

Do you have any information you wish to share with us? Do you want us to cover your event or programme? For Adverts or report call/WhatsApp us on +2349064433505 or reach us at

No comments