Breaking News

Two Killed As Explosion Rocks Lagos, Kwara

By Adedayo Said

At least two persons have been confirmed dead in fire explosions at Adeola Odeku, Victoria Island, Lagos and Egbe garage in Omu-aran, Kwara State.

According to Daily Trust a male adult died in the Lagos incident which occured on Tuesday morning.

It was gathered that the fire broke out from the generator house of a commercial bank in the area and destroyed the patrol van of the Rapid Response Squad, Lagos State Police Command, stationed on the premises.

The officers in the vehicle, however, escaped unhurt.

“RRS vehicle on patrol of Adeola Odeku was this morning involved in a fire incident. Although lives were lost in the incident but our officers escaped with injuries.

“While we pray for the repose of the souls of those whose lives were lost in the incident, we appreciate those who have been calling and sending messages to our Commander, CSP Olayinka Egbeyemi. Thank you for your concerns,” RRS wrote on its Facebook page.

A spokesperson for the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Mr Shakirudeen Ahmadu, confirmed that “one male adult” was recovered dead.

In Kwara, an explosion from a cooking gas on Monday killed one Mrs. Adeola Adewale while preparing food for her family members.

The incident which occured at Egbe garage in Omu-aran, Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State also saw the husband trapped in the inferno before he was eventually rescued.

It was gathered that the incident occurred at about 10:35pm when the deceased was preparing food for her family members.
“Her husband and the children were in the sitting room when they suddenly heard a loud explosion and they all ran away.

“But her husband who quickly returned in an attempt to rescue her was trapped inside the fire and sustained injury in the process. She later died from the high degree burns suffered during the incident while the husband was taken to the hospital for treatment,” the spokesman for the Kwara State Fire Service, Hassan Adekunle, told Daily Trust on Tuesday.

Adekunle added that the sitting room, kitchen and dining of the family had been affected before firemen were able to bring the fire under control.

Quoting the director, Kwara State Fire Service, Prince Falade John Olumuyiwa, Adekunle charged the general public, particularly women and mothers to learn the correct practice of using cooking gas safely.

Do you have any information you wish to share with us? Do you want us to cover your event or programme? For Adverts or report call/WhatsApp us on +2349064433505 or reach us at

No comments