Breaking News

Police Opts For Post-mortem Over Kwara Woman, Yetunde Balogun’s Suspicious Death

A post-mortem examination to ascertain the real cause of Yetunde Balogun’s death, allegedly from food poisoning will be conducted Tuesday next week by medical doctors in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital.

This was revealed to the Kwara State Commissioner for Women Affairs, Mopelola Abdulmaliq-Bashir, during a condolence visit to Yetunde Balogun’s husband’s family house, at Araoje area in Ilorin metropolis.

She was alleged to have consumed a deadly substance suspected to be “DD force.”

The police officer in charge of the case, Emmanuel Johnson, told the Commissioner that they visited the house of the deceased and were able to retrieve the container of the substance late Yetunde Balogun was claimed to have allegedly taken.

He disclosed that doctors said “there are two tests to detect the fact of the case medically, ‘Post mortem’ and ‘Toxicology’.

“Toxicology is not done here in Ilorin, therefore, post mortem has been settled for and slated to be carried out on Tuesday, 19th April,2022,” he added.

Abdulmaliq-Bashir lamented that “it is lack of love that makes people see one another’s differences; a wife should, therefore, be treated like a daughter in the family.”

She said the news that the deceased died of food poisoning had gone viral, as against the family’s claim that she committed suicide with a poisonous substance “DD Force” which she drank, an aftermath of a heated argument with the husband.

The Commissioner assured Yetunde’s family that no stone will be left unturned to unravel the cause of her death, as there are two versions to the story.

“It is an unfortunate development for a State that is striving to put the female gender in proper position, a State that is already changing narratives to ensure that the rights and privileges of every woman is respected, to experience this kind of ugly development,” she lamented.

In her comment, the Permanent Secretary, Hajia Afusat Nike Ibrahim, advised elders to always endeavor to intervene whenever they notice any misunderstanding between couples, to avoid tragic end of events of that nature.

Responding, Mr Raji Araoje, who is an uncle to the deceased’s husband, said it was around 10:30 a.m. on Monday morning that he saw Yetunde.

Araoje claimed that a few minutes later, Yetunde’s husband called for help that his wife had taken a delicate substance and that she was immediately rushed to the General Hospital, Ilorin where she eventually died.

It was reported that Yetunde returned home just a week before her demise.

The Commissioner with her entourage consisting of Rapid Response Team of the ministry, on the directives of the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs, also paid a visit to the State Police Headquarters, where she met with the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Steve Yabanet, who gave an update on the case.

He confirmed that they were on top of the case and will go to any length to make sure that justice was served.

Do you have any information you wish to share with us? Do you want us to cover your event or programme? For Adverts or report call/WhatsApp us on +2349064433505 or reach us at

No comments